Friday, August 21, 2015

First Day of School: Tears, Blood and Teachers Calling Home

So based off my title, it may sound like Evelyn's first day of school was traumatic.  The title may be the slightest bit dramatic, but it definitely wasn't the first day I had hoped for her-that is for sure.

We woke up extra early to make sure Evelyn had enough time to wake up and desire breakfast.  On any weekend day, my kids typically don't want food until at least 10 am so I was worried she wouldn't be interested.  I should have known that just telling her she needed energy for school would get her going right away.

After a pancake breakfast (shared with sister) we got her dressed in her uniform.  She is just so stinking cute! The night before Boyfriend and I discussed where we would take her first day of school pictures, I wanted to do it in the same spot every year.  Originally I didn't want to do the fireplace because I'm praying we don't have that ugly thing for the next 12 years but it was dark outside so its the only spot in the house that seemed to be the right spot. Also, total Pinterest fail on the chalkboard sign, next year will be better!

After we dropped off Penny at daycare, we headed to her school.  Evelyn was bouncing around in her car seat with excitement as my throat was tight and my eyes were stinging with tears.  Evelyn asked me not to cry at school so I wouldn't embarrass her.  Not even officially in school and she was already worried I would embarrass her!

Once we arrived at the building, we had Evelyn walk us to her classroom-surprisingly she remembered exactly where to go (as I totally didn't).  Spoiler alert-this is an important fact later on in the story. We were only the second family to arrive and her sweet homeroom teacher, Mrs. A greeted us enthusiastically and this is where Evelyn deflated like a balloon, shrinking in both personality and size.

We walked her to her desk and she sat, refusing to take pictures with us.  I could tell she was totally overwhelmed, especially as the third student came in and didn't stop talking for one second.  Boyfriend and I stood around somewhat awkwardly, we had only been there for two minutes but both of the other kids parents were gone so we weren't sure if we should leave yet (at this point it was probably still 30 minutes until official school start time) or stick around.  I had no desire to extend an already difficult goodbye, but I also could tell that Mrs. A was preoccupied with attending to other things so I didn't want to leave Evelyn totally alone, unaware of what to do next.

Luckily Mrs. A took charge and advised us we were going to move the girls over to Mrs. T's (her co-teacher) room because she was going to step out and help with directing parents to their classroom.  We walked Evelyn one classroom over and the girls all sat down on a rug, which Evelyn was excited because it was "cute as a button" (the very loose theme I had desired for Penny's birthday).  

Once in the room, they started coloring so I took this as my time to say goodbye.  As I was hugging her sweet body I started to tear up but upheld her request to not cry.  The tears finally broke free as soon as we left the classroom, I could just tell how nervous and shy she was feeling-it broke my heart she was feeling scared.  

Once I got to work, I was feeling better because it would be only a short while before we could pick her up, they are offering early release for Kinder kids this week and all of next week so they get an opportunity to adjust.  Around 11:00 I started to worry about her again, and then my phone started ringing around 11:30, so I suppose it was mom's intuition something was up.  I missed the first and second calls (from different numbers) because I was on a call at work but moments after the second call I had a voicemail, 

"Hi, this is the nurse at Evelyn's school.  She is JUST FINE but I do want to let you know she is experiencing a pretty severe nose bleed and we are working to control it.  Please give me a call as soon as you get this message."

I immediately called back and spoke with the nurse (who was SO nice) and she explained that Evelyn's nose bleed was pretty bad though they finally did get it under control, but all of her clothes, shoes included, were covered in blood so she needed a change of clothing.  I guess it isn't kosher to hang out in blood soaked clothes in school. Boyfriend and I had carpooled in order to do drop off/pick up but my mom was in for the rescue and was able to bring her a change of clothes.

The nurse and I talked for a bit, I explained to her that Evelyn gets nose bleeds, and often.  I apologized for not notifying them earlier but I didn't see a spot where I could fill out generic "need to know" information.  I promised to continue to send her with a change of clothes each day just in case this happens again in the future (which it will, she gets between 3-7 a week).

My mom called after she left, she said Evelyn seemed ok but was pretty sad when she realized that my mom wasn't taking her home.  Evelyn told my mom she was having fun and my mom said that she got her to laugh once (which when she is really shut down, is impossible to do) so I felt much better after speaking with my mom.

Once we pulled up to school, Mrs. A caught us and seemed really scared to talk to us.  I know nosebleeds can seem pretty scary (especially with Evelyn) but I soon realized that she wasn't telling us just about the nosebleed, she was explaining to us what caused the nosebleed to occur.  

I had assumed it was due to playing but apparently during their bathroom break, Evelyn was the last to use the restroom and was left behind by herself so she walked back to her classroom but the entire class was actually down the hall.  She explained to us the circumstances that had allowed this to occur and what is going to be done to make sure it won't happen again but she said that due to this, Evelyn became quite emotional (crying hard) because she thought she was lost and alone and her nose started to bleed.  Mrs. A was obviously devastated and you could tell she felt terrible.

While Boyfriend was a bit upset over Evelyn getting left behind, I wasn't honestly.  First off, it will teach Evelyn to hurry up and stick to her business in the bathroom but second of all-I get things happen.  After talking with Mrs. A I could just feel how poorly she felt and I know it won't happen again.  

Evelyn finally made it to our car and when she saw me she started running and jumped in my arms.  I buckled her in her car seat and before I could even buckle up myself, she was talking about what a fun day she had and she can't wait for her second day of school!  I tried to talk to her about the getting left behind/nosebleed incident and she got a little upset and wouldn't talk about it so I tried to focus on the good stuff, like her learning some new Spanish words and what she saw the other kids eating for lunch.

I'm glad to have the first day over with.  I am excited to see what we have to work hard at and what areas she shines in.  She already decided which girl is going to be her BFF and that she has to have a certain type of chips in her lunch because the other kids were eating them.  Tonight we have our first Spirit Night at Chuck E Cheese, I can't believe we are officially in the world of school!


Blogger Template By Designer Blogs